Did Matt Die In Cuba?
Listen to this episode on the website
|Date|| August 12, 2014|
|Previous|| Nonstop Infinite Podcast|
|Next||This one is the Personacast|
Did Matt Die In Cuba? is the fifty-third episode of the Super Best Friendcast.
- “This week, on a very special episode, one of the Zaibatsu, WILL DIE.*
*This may be an untruth
We round up the latest with all the cool stuff that happened just after we finished recording last week, like how cool Gannondorf is, and how much we love retailer specific pre-order content!”
- — Podcast description
- “Welcome to year two of the Super Best Friendcast.”
- — Woolie
- “Liam's like 'I had a child!'.”
- — Matt
- “The two core pillars of Persona, fighting and dancing.”
- — Matt
- “If you kick evil hard enough, it will down and then explode.”
- — Pat
- “What you have to do is learn as a human being that everyone younger than you is stupid.”
- — Pat
- “Are you asking for lore justification for Street Fighter: Fight for Nothing dialogue?”
- — Pat
- “EX Pee in her butt.”
- — Liam
- “People get really emotional about being able to live.”
- — Matt
- “I will never let you forget about Smegmaman.”
- — Pat
Letter Time Edit
Q: Can you name every iteration of Street Fighter II? from Andrew
- Woolie: Street Fighter II: World Warrior
- Pat: Street Fighter II: Championship Edition
- Liam: Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
- Matt: Super Street Fighter II: Turbo (incorrect)
- Correct chronology: Street Fighter II: The World Warrior, Street Fighter II': Champion Edition, Street Fighter II': Hyper Fighting, Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Hyper Street Fighter II - The Anniversary Edition, Super Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix
Q: Do you have any moments when you're playing and you think "THIS IS VIDEO GAMES"? from Kazbot
- Pat: A bunch of moments when the music would kick in for a boss in Persona.
- Woolie: All those mascot battles in Super Smash Bros.
- Matt: Broforce
- Liam: In Metrico, when I'm spinning the Vita around while platforming.
Q: For the purposes of the demo, what would be a good level to put the player at to give a sense of what the actual game is about without spoiling or giving too much away. from Dean
- Pat: Two or three levels in.
- Matt: Ditto.
- Liam: A level that has one really tough challenge.
- Woolie: Give them control when they had a good spread of their powers like Strider.
Q: What are your unique machine gun sounds? from Paul
- Pat: Pew pew... pew?
- Woolie: Tcccchhhhhhh Tcccchhhhh
- Matt: Aaaaaaaeh aaaaaaeh
- Liam: Gok gok gok gok gok
Q: Is the discussion about stages purely about aesthetics or is there some mechanical use to them? from Emmet
- Pat: Well, for a lot of games yeah, it's aesthetics. 3D fighter stages do matter.
- Matt: You can learn about their respective characters through the stages.
- Woolie: If there's a ring out, it's important.
Q: My nephew unironically loves Sword Art Online II. How can I cope with this shocking revelation? from Kenny
- Matt: Never talk to your nephew again.
- Pat: People younger than you are stupid.
- Woolie: People are allowed to have bad taste.
Q: Why did Blanka pee in the girl's butt? from Little Jimmy
- Matt: Because we wrote something that made us laugh and Blanka's into that shit.
Q: I wanna know how it feels to do QA on a game that is received by players as one of the best games of the year as opposed to a buggy pile of garbage? from Dewey
- Matt: I spent well over a year doing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, that was the biggest one. It feels bad at the time, but when it comes out you get a swell of pride.
- Liam: I was really thankful that Darksiders II was received well. It was disheartening to see Thief not do well.
- Woolie: You're a bit biased, because you're a part of the team, and you see the mood in the office change.
Q: Where do I start to get into Metal Gear? from Reed
- Woolie: You play Metal Gear Solid, then you just go forward.
- Pat: Always play in release order, both for mechanics and story reasons.
- Matt: You could just play Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and go in chronological order. I don't subscribe to that, but I've heard people say that.
- Liam: If you can, get the boxed copy of Metal Gear Solid.
Q: What are some good brands that extended to video games that would be a good gateway for younger kids that just play mobile? from Daniel
- Woolie: Mario
- Liam: Mario and Zelda, and beat 'em ups
- Pat: Batman, or graphic violence, like DOOM or Resident Evil 2.
- Matt: Mount Your Friends!
Q: Now that your website is up, how do y'all intend to efficiently operationalise your strategies to allow yourselves to leverage more core competencies in a way that enables you.... from Cyborg Senator
- Pat: Okay, here's what I do. I open up the DVD tray on my computer and put my dick in it.
Q: Which TV show/movie/video game do you wish you watched or played when it was originally aired/released? from Luke
- Woolie: Persona 3 and Persona 4
- Pat: Street Fighter III: Third Strike
- Liam: Metal Gear Solid
- Matt: Metal Gear Solid as well. I wish I watched Twin Peaks when it came out.
Q: Why no racing games? from Aaron
- Matt: Hard to commentate on them.
- Woolie: We also don't have a lot of collective interest in them.
Q: Choose any gamepad of any console, and remove one element and one element to it. from Anton
- Liam: Xbox S controller: Remove black and white buttons and replace them with L1 and R1 buttons on the Xbox controller.
- Matt: Dreamcast controller: get rid of it. Make it any other controller.
- Woolie: Sega Saturn: Remove the d-pad and replace it with a Nintendo cross.
- Pat: PS4 controller: Remove the share button, add the select button.
Zaibatsu Watch Edit
- Liam: Magic Worm Adventure Simulator Hokem
- Matt: The 3DS tie-in game for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
- Pat: Play more The Last of Us, watch a shit ton more Hajime no Ippo, keep up with Sword Art Online II, and probably gonna catch up to Woolie in Persona 4 Golden.
- Woolie: Finish Persona 4 Golden, and watch the Hiimdaisey comics.
- The music used in the outro is "Hard Boiled" from Kamen Rider W.