PlatinumGames Inc., or Platinum for short, is a Japanese game developer that is often brought up and praised by the Best Friends Zaibatsu. The studio has been mentioned in the vast majority of videos released after their Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance playthrough, as well as nearly every episode of the Super Best Friendcast.
Platinum was initially founded as Seeds, Inc. in 2006 by Shinji Mikami, Atsushi Inaba and Hideki Kamiya, former key members of Capcom's Clover Studio, and still retains many other former members of the studio.
The Best Friends mostly direct their praise towards Hideki Kamiya, the director of the first Devil May Cry and Resident Evil 2, since he has directed the majority of Platinum's works and has a penchant for making the most over-the-top, incredibly awesome (or "hype") shit ever, typically in the character-action genre.
Hype Clover ShitEdit
- Viewtiful Joe (as Team Viewtiful) - 2003, GameCube and PlayStation 2
- Ōkami - 2006, PlayStation 2 and Wii
- God Hand - 2006, PlayStation 2
Hype Platinum ShitEdit
- MadWorld - 2009, Wii
- Bayonetta - 2009, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
- Vanquish - 2010, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
- Anarchy Reigns - 2012, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 2013, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Steam
- The Wonderful 101 (as Team Wonderful) - 2013, Wii U
- Bayonetta 2 - 2014, Wii U
- Scalebound (Cancelled) - 2016, Xbox One
- Platinum is only one of the three game studios that exists because of Capcom's exceedingly poor management of it's talented staff, the other two being Komcept (co-developer of Mighty No. 9, founded by Keiji Inafune) and Tango Gameworks (developer of The Evil Within, also founded by Shinji Mikami).
- A common joke format among the Zaibatsu when talking about an unreleased or theoretical game is to propose "(insert anything here) made by Platinum," because it always sounds amazing, most of these jokes result in literal yells and grunts of childlike joy. Such examples are a Captain Falcon character-action/racing game, a Rosalina character-action game, a 50 Cent character-action game, a Resident Evil game, an Assassin's Creed game and Platinum making Persona 5.
- Pat has gone on record saying he wishes Platinum made everything.
- Kamiya is also famous for his highly enraged reactions on Twitter due to fans asking him repetive questions. In a particular incident mentioned by Liam, when asked to confirm that Bayonetta 2 was only on Wii U, his response was: "FUCK YOU, ASK NINTENDO."
- Besides simply making Revengeance, Hideo Kojima greatly respects Platinum because of how quickly they got the first build of it working, showcasing the talent of the staff. Kojima even went on to say: "Honestly, I’ve been making games for over 25 years and the state that this game was in when it went to Platinum... was really a mess! The fact that they were able to pull it off is very impressive."